Monday 16 March 2009

Too much life, not enough sleep.

My class are fantastic - they work so hard and are writing pages and pages. I am so impressed with them.
They are making me look bad!!!
No, seriously, they are doing brilliantly keeping up the word count as I slip behind another day. My excuse is too much marking, too much of other people's work to read and not enough time to think, day dream and wonder where my heroine will go next. It is proving unfortunate, to say the least, that I put her in a wheelchair within the first few pages - not permanently, but long enough to make her immobility extremely annoying for the plot. I feel like saying 'get up and walk woman' like some latter day saint, but this would be cheating, so she is progressing to crutches and I will let her wheels sink into the sand on the beach and leave her with the tide coming in for the time being.

Meanwhile, other things in life - went to Manchester to see the man in my life perform comedy, it was very funny. Well, he was funny - obviously, it is after all, one of his jobs, being funny. The situation was funny too - a drunk dinner crowd (tables, so some people had their backs to the stage area), a steadily getting drunk and belligerent compere and a wimp of a promoter. Suffice it to say, I was glad he went on first, that the fight was avoided and that I had a bottle of wine inside me. Oh and we had the worst meal ever ever eaten anywhere - yey! But you know what? None of that mattered and at the risk of sounding soppy, it was good to get out of London and just be with each other - that and the pillow chocolates.

Lovely drive back over the Yorkshire moors. A stop off in Wandsworth to see the legendary Gary and his surprise grand-daughter and then home and sleep - oh god, I miss sleep. A glorious 8 hours, which, for me is close to a miracle as I'm a chronic insomniac most nights, waking up after 4 hours and wandering around looking for boring things to do to send me back to sleep.
Roll on Easter and the lie ins I'm promising myself.

No comments: