Wednesday 11 March 2009

Synopsis, Shelves and New Shoes.

Still writing. Tried to work out a synopsis for this book and realised that even while it was waaaaaaay too early for that, it was a 'very useful exercise'. I did it partly because I was teaching synopsis writing this week and thought that I should put my money where my mouth is (also a lesson on cliches - they are so hard to shift once you get going..arrgh!) Partly because I like to have an idea of where I'm going and I see the first synopsis as a kind of roughly drawn map - you know the one jotted down on a paper napkin rather than the google directions complete with 'turn left, continue down Acacia Avenue for 53m' type. It is also very useful for seeing if what you have is a story or just an interesting idea.
What you do is write a synopsis of what you have in your head, then look at it very hard, does it follow the shape of a story, does anything happen? Does the character change? Do they have highs and lows and a massive big rug pulling bit near the end? If not, tidge it around (a technical term) until it does. What you end up with might not be what you were hoping for, you have to lose that heart attack scene and the dream sequence but what you get is a much better story.
At least that's what I'm telling myself as I rearrange bits of paper,index cards and post-its.
A break from the writing involved painting my shelves. The decorator let me down at the last minute today - literally the last minute. He sent me a text five minutes before he was due here to tell me he'd just realised the fee I'd offered was too small and, I quote, 'he didn't work for peanuts.' I was shocked. We'd agreed the price a week ago, how did it suddenly get to be peanuts? I had no idea people were able to turn down work - obviously the recession hasn't hit decorators yet! Well, I looked at the shelves and you know what, he was right - a monkey could do it. So I may have splodges all over me and an ache in my arm, but the shelves are white and I'm up a new pair of shoes (possibly two!)
As an added bonus, that rhythmical slightly boring job was great down time for my writing brain and I think I've got my next scene.

No comments: