Thursday 5 March 2009

Displacement activities can be the key to success.

Finally, some clear space to write. Today is going to be a full day of writing. Ha ha ha ha. This is a huge mistake, never ever clear a day in the diary to write - it is fatal, I realise this with a sinking heart and start making lists of alternative things that absolutely have to be done first. All this becomes academic as I manage to spill tea all over my lovely new white duvet cover, a wash needs to go on and then I need to find clean linen.
That done, the phone goes and it is a new private student - she sounds lovely and we have a really constructive first session. I love getting to know a new client sharing with them the excitement of a new book.
But today is MY writing day - I jot down a few paragraphs before the next interruption.
The post. Bills, yuk, vouchers for John Lewis - yey!
Obviously, I need to go shopping.

I love Peter Jones, it is an oasis of calm and kitchen equipment. Kitchen equipment reminds me I've promised to make Red Velvet Cupcakes for the kids birthdays. Even though my daughters are both grown up (17 and 22 on Saturday and yes, born on the same day) they still want homemade cakes, and even though I've arranged for Hummingbird cupcakes http://www.hummingbirdbakery.com/flash.html for them to share with friends, I know they'll be hoping for mum's lopsided offerings too. When I get home I find a recipe on the internet and manage to cover myself and the kitchen in red food colouring - it gets everywhere.
While they are cooking I unpack my Peter Jones goodies - cutlery, mugs and a saute pan, then roast pinenuts for the rissotto this evening.
Writing? Yikes! I rush to the computer and somehow I manage to get another few paragraphs down. Cakes out, search for icing ingredients and more sugary goo on my face and fingers. Back to the computer write for an hour or so and when I check my wordcount realise that somehow I've managed to write nearly 3,500 words.
Blimus - maybe a day of writing is a good idea after all!

No comments: