Tuesday 3 March 2009

Getting to know you

So here I am, day 4 of the Novel in a Month, I should be at around the 6,000 word mark and I'm down by about 3,000 words. I feel crap, have a cold and the washing machine engineer is clanging and sighing next door in the kitchen.
The novel, is taking shape though, and I have made pages and pages of notes. I love this stage, the 'getting to know you', bit, where you daily uncover a new aspect of the character you are writing. It is a little bit like falling in love, where even the most annoying habits of your new man, seem fascinating and wonderful. There will, of course, be bad times ahead, some of those habits, the inconsistencies will rise up and bite me on the novel writing arse, but for the time being I'm still in the honeymoon period.

Sunday night I met up with a friend's group of 'Arty Women' - writers, publishers, women from the art world and Life Coaches. I love the way women network and interact with each other. Watching us all over dinner, was like watching an intricate social dance. At no time was anyone left out of conversation, we moved seamlessly from one group or dialogue into another, passing on information, exchanging ideas, contacts, points of interest. Do men do this in the same way? I don't think so.
I was sad I had to leave early, but am really glad I made the effort to go out and meet with these interesting, high achieving but down to earth women. Thank you Jacqui for including me.

No comments: