Thursday 14 May 2009

Things that go bump

There are various things that stop me from writing - lack of sleep, worry (leading to the former), paperwork, planning, teaching, cooking, shopping, buying new shoes -OK, the last couple are really just huge procrastinations. But I've been wondering lately if this is right or - Are writers expert self saboteurs?
I've had a stressful week, although teaching in Southampton has stopped, I still have the paperwork, the follow ups and the meetings to schedule in and attend. I got double booked teaching at Richmond and had to get the bloke in to help out (and why is it men don't listen, then tell you it is your fault they didn't?). Then to cap it all my computers all went doolaly at the same time. I rang the ex to ask for help - OK screech would be closer - not realizing that he was at new girlfriends house. He was calmly telling me where to look for the helpdesk number and I'm telling him I don't read manuals (as he well knows) and why can't he just tell me how to fix it. There is silence at the end of the phone. An uneasy feeling creeps across the back of my neck. 'Er, am I disturbing you?' 'It's fine', comes the terse reply. Oh great, the first time she hears my voice and it is down a phone making like a fishwife - NOT the impression I wanted ex's new girlfriend to have of me. Hey ho.
'OK, sorry, bye, I'll check the manual.'
I find the number, a nice guy answers the phone and guides me politely and calmly through the procedure. Computer flickers into life and all is well in the world.
Why can't all men be like Apple helpdesk guys? They listen, they don't judge, they wait while you scrabble through the fluff on the floor to find the cable and they don't give anyone else their attention while you are with them. Perfect. All men should spend a week on an Apple helpdesk - they'd learn alot and not about technology.
So, the computer works, I am calm -ish, I've slept well, there is no excuse, now where did I put my notebook?

No comments: