Tuesday 19 May 2009

Sentence by Sentence

I'm a bit low at the moment, some sad family news, nothing majorly drastic or dramatic, but distracting. I've been trying to write the opening of the new book and it is HARD. The trouble is that I read a lot of stuff - some good, some bad and I'm always looking for what works and what doesn't - which means when I come to write I cannot turn the internal editor off. Today I have managed 237 words and I'm about to reduce that down to about 150 because the last four lines are all telling not showing.
It is a sentence by sentence day, where all you can do is try to move forward sentence by sentence, one tiny baby step at a time. The plan is pretty much there and I like the working title enough not to mess around with it any more, I may just go for broke and try to bash out a replacement 150 words before I go off to teach, or I may just stare at the screen a bit more.
I ought to go for a walk or a run, but it is raining - again.
Not a good day.
Let's hope tomorrow is better and I'm not feeling sad anymore.

No comments: