Tuesday 26 May 2009

one thousand words a day

Right, so I've started the new novel, and I've been working on doing a thousand words a day six days a week, with the idea that I'll finish it before the beginning of the new term in September. So far so good, I'm on day three and I've done 3,000 words which is Chapter 1. Whew! The bloke had a look at it over the weekend and I've made some notes based on his comments, but the idea is that while this isn't 'Novel in a Month' I do want to put a pretty tight deadline on it. I think of it as a thoughtful Nanowrimo - less writing by the seat of my pants, but still getting the words down. I firmly believe the story is in all of us. Aristotle didn't make up stuff for Poetics, he observed and recorded - we are wired up to create narrative, it really is a matter of getting the brain out of the way and allowing the story through.
Met with supervisor yesterday and after lots of gossip and catch up chat, we have a sort of plan, I think. Basically, I get on with it and send him what ever I want feedback on. I'll send him the first 10,000 words before the holiday and see how that goes. I think I just need to get into better habits. We talked a bit about using this blog for the PhD - there may be some question about the validity of using it as an academic document. My feeling is that it is more of a Journal, a record of the process of writing, that, hopefully will work as a bridge between the novel and the critical analysis work.  This is my theory and I'm sticking to it.  Have run out of words today, brain feels as soggy as the weather, which is rank.
Meanwhile - off to see 'Tormented' tonight, with the bloke and youngest daughter.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hi

I stumbled across your blog from another blog (I think it was planting words) but I thought I would pop by and say hi.

Good luck on the novel. I'm trying to write one at the moment too.

Jessica
:)