Tuesday 3 June 2008

Getting Started

Decided to bite the bullet and put up a blog spot for the Novel in Month writers. This is going to be a place where you can see how I'm doing as I write alongside you. You can ask me questions, for advice or just have a moan.
Today, I'm planning out the first couple of weeks of the class. I'm trying hard not to think about the book I want to write. It's not a good idea to come in with too much of a preconceived idea, this is very much an organic process, a kind of 'find your voice' exercise. We get so bogged down in being 'good enough' and trying to be the sort of writer we think we ought to be, the real writer in us gets lost. I based the Write a Novel in a Month course on the Nanowrimo that is run by Chris Baty over the internet every November. It seemed to me the ideal way of bypassing all that 'getting it right' stuff and encouraging writers to just get on with it. I'm looking forward to starting the course and writing at breakneck speed for a month with no sense of responsibility.
Eek!

No comments: