Monday 6 April 2009

Interesting Times

Have chosen the old Chinese curse as my title today, partly because I'm feeling a bit cursed and partly because living an interesting life can be a mixed blessing.
Have just heard that the film script I wrote has been turned down and producer, who is nameless and a fickle bastard at the best of times, has decided that he'd rather do his daughter's script instead. Well, of course, I'm delighted that a girl less than half my age getting the opportunity I've been working my butt off for. But that's the way it goes, nepotism is rife everywhere, and if I'm honest, I'd use it if I could too. Good luck to her.
However, the film industry eats people, and one of the reasons I'm able to write this without sobbing into my pillow is because I've been here before. Last time I allowed myself to believe the hype, so much so, I could taste the catering van's bacon sandwiches and when it was pulled, I was inconsolable. I really did sob, nash my teeth and send horrible curses to all involved. This time, I promised myself I wouldn't get like that - it is a total waste of energy.
So today, when I got the news, I sent off my final invoice - at least this time I got paid for being rejected (that's progress in my book), and took myself off for a walk in the park to admire the daffs and laugh at the ducks.
As my bloke says, we're a bit like carpenters, you want to be a craftsman who gets to do fabulous historic work, but mostly you're just putting up the frame, everyone else will come and add their bits and the people who inhabit the house will be the ones remembered.
So it is back to the novel - lots of post it notes round the edge of the computer - the beauty of a desktop is that there is space to do that - and a note book full of ideas and unsullied hope.
So, yes,life is interesting, but that doesn't have to be a curse, it can be a blessing.

No comments: